Nigerian military rejects allegations soldiers aided Palm Sunday terrorist attack in Jos community
April 01st, 2026
The Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE has denied allegations that its troops provided cover for perpetrators of the Palm Sunday attack in Angwan Rukuba community, Jos North Local Government Area, describing the claims as false, misleading, and capable of undermining security operations.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, and signed by the Task Force’s Media Information Officer, Chinonso Polycarp Oteh, the military said its attention had been drawn to a viral comment by a youth leader from the community, accusing soldiers of aiding attackers during the incident that reportedly claimed the lives of innocent residents.
“The attention of Headquarters Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE has been drawn to a false comment by one of the youth leaders of Angwan Rukuba Community, circulating on various social media platforms, alleging that troops provided cover for the perpetrators of Palm Sunday unprovoked attack,” the statement read.
The military said it was compelled to respond despite the prevailing grief to clarify the situation and counter what it described as misinformation.
“Ordinarily, the reply to the comment made by the youth leader would not have been necessary, especially in this moment of grief, but for the purpose of clarity and the benefit of well-meaning Nigerians it is expedient to state unequivocally that at no point did troops provide any form of cover for the terrorist elements who carried out the unfortunate attack that claimed the lives of innocent citizens,” the task force stated.
According to the military, troops were deployed immediately after receiving a distress call but found that the attackers had already fled.
“Troops on receiving a distress call on the unfortunate incident swiftly mobilised to the scene, which was far away from where they were deployed and observed that the attackers had fled,” the statement added. “Troops acted professionally to avert what could have spiraled to endless bloodshed and pursued the fleeing criminals as can be attested to by so many survivors who were at the scene of the attack.”
The task force disclosed that four gun trucks were sent to the area to reinforce security.
“Specifically, four gun trucks mounted by troops were dispatched to the incident scene and they acted professionally on arrival as confirmed by other security agencies, as well as eyewitnesses at the scene of the attack,” the statement said.
The military noted that it investigated the allegation and found it to be unfounded.
“Nonetheless, the allegation was promptly investigated and confirmed to be false,” the statement added.
It warned that such claims could weaken collaboration between security forces and communities.
“The comment by the youth leader is false, misleading and unfortunate, capable of demoralizing troops and causing disaffection between the Military and its host community,” the task force stated.
The military urged residents to disregard the claim and cooperate with security agencies.
“The public is requested to discountenance the comment, remain calm, law abiding and continue to support troops with credible and actionable information on terrorist activities,” the statement said.
The task force also assured residents of Plateau State that efforts were ongoing to apprehend those responsible for the attack.
“Troops in conjunction with other security agencies have adopted effective strategies to unravel and apprehend the perpetrators of the dastardly act. Troops will continue to deal decisively with criminals while maintaining peace in every part of Plateau State,” the statement concluded. (Sahara Reporters)